Peace is something we all long for, but it isn't something that just happens, we need to seek it in all of the right places. Please join me in the search.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Thankful

Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5: 18 NIV

This scripture doesn't just apply to the holiday we call Thanksgiving. It is something that is learned as we grow and mature in the Lord.

I remember the first time this verse really had an impact on me. I was a brand new Christian and my life was a mess. I was in the process of a nasty divorce, trying to raise three children with no child support or help from anyone. When I read those words, I felt like asking God how He could expect me to thank Him for all this mess and unbearable pain. My pastor assured me that no matter what, we need to give thanks. It was difficult, but I prayed and told the Lord that I want to be obedient, but I just didn't know how to thank Him for this. In the months and years that followed, I grew tremendously in my walk with the Lord.
That was many years ago. I survived that difficult time and there was a season of what I considered to be a season of blessings. Just as seasons change, our circumstances change. Sometimes for what we consider good and sometimes for what we consider bad. And just when we have learned a lot in the Lord, we find that we still have so much more to learn.

The last few years of my life have been very challenging. Due to chronic illness and pain, my life is no longer as it was. But, thank God, I have grown and matured in the Lord so that no matter what is happening and no matter how much pain I am in, I can still thank God for His love and His mercy to carry me through the hard times. I have learned that it is in the hard times that I can lean on Him and be in peace.

Father, not just on Thanksgiving, but everyday, help us to be truly thankful for all that You have done for us and all than You are yet to do in and for us. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright (C)Pam Wilson 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home